Nicolau Nasoni | 1750 | Visitor Information
Clérigos Tower is the foremost undisputed landmark of Porto and a reference in the city's history. Clérigos Tower opened its doors in 1763, becoming the highest bell tower of Portugal, with over 75 metres. The famous church was built in the eighteenth century, between 1732 and 1749 and this was the most emblematic work of the architect Nicolau Nasoni. Is one of the most beautiful temples of baroque feature, and a reference in the history of Porto. The front of the church shows off its highly interesting and beautiful baroque finishing with its contours, domes and spires worthy of closer inspection. The interior has but a single nave in granite and marble and covered in baroque carvings again demonstrating the skill of the architect. However, what sets this construction apart is the Tower; constructed in granite protruding out of the top of the western side of the church. This is the highly distinctive landmark of Oporto. The tower extends upwards through 75 metres of elegance forming rhythmic stages before rising to its crowning glory, the spherical clock house. The baroque decoration is thoroughly delicate and off a wonderful lightness.
Information provided in part by: Tripadvisor and Torre de Clerigos