Igreja dos Carmelitas
The Igreja do Carmo was built between 1756 and 1768 in the rococo or late Baroque style. The Igreja do Carmo has an outstanding azulejo-covered exterior with the azulejos added in 1912. The tiles were made locally in Vila Nova de Gaia. They depict scenes of the founding of the Carmelite Order and Mount Carmel. The exterior facade of the church is richly crafted with a rectangular portal, flanked by two religious sculptures of the prophets Elijah and Elisha carved in Italy. The interior of the church has a single nave with seven lavish gilt altars, the work of sculptor Francisco Pereira Campanha, as well as a number of fine oil paintings. The chapels of the church are magnificent, putting in value the images of the saints represented there. Light is intelligently used to value the rich decor we are fortunate to see, in an impeccable state of preservation.
Information provided in part by: Portugal Visitor