J. DUIKER, B. BIJVOET, J.G. WIEBENGA | 1931 | Visitor Information
Sanatorium Zonnestraal ('Sunray' Sanatorium) was founded as an aftercare colony to prepare TB patients for their return to society. The sanatorium complex comprises a main building, two pavilions, workshops and servants' quarters. The complex was designed by the architect Jan Duiker between 1926 and 1931. It was intended to last only as long as necessary to eliminate tuberculosis, an estimated 30 years. This was also reflected in the choice of building materials.
The sanatorium was in operation from 1928 to 1950. In 1957 it was converted into a general hospital, and since then has had a number of annexes added to it.
The design's main focus was on functionality. The idea was to create a building that would give patients plenty of fresh air and light.
Information provided in part by: UNESCO